Community is important, and About The Ride is trying to keep that spirit alive! Below are some of the events, clinics, competitions and other activities that can be expected in the near future, check back for updates!
Current And Upcoming Activities
- Save-A-Turkey Trot – it’s not cycling, but it’s a fun 5k run fundraiser for a local farm animal sanctuary
- There were a few Cyclocross clinics, and be sure to check out the local resources for local racing and other related info! If you haven’t done cyclocross, learn the basics here, or tune up your skills, watch for clinics in 2022!
- A TT clinic, with a specific focus on the Sidney Velo TT course, click here for details!
- The Victoria Segment Invitational: a Strava-based competition over a few months, with two segments for people to challenge themselves on each week (inspired by the COVID KOMpetition!)
- Forums 2.0: an experimental idea, utilizing a Microsoft Teams community board for all to join, featuring several ‘rooms’ for the local community to interact and organize and keep informed
...And A Little Background
Dave has enjoyed a long history organizing clinics and events in Victoria, some highlights include:
- At the velodrome as a GVVA board member: Learn To Ride & Race clinics, and the weekly track racing series for several years (at its height two race nights a week from April through August)
- Through (now retired) OrganicAthlete Victoria: the Durian Cup mountain bike race series at Hartland, cyclocross clinics and mini-competitions (including the Whirly-Whirl World Championships), and at the velodrome the OA Omnium series, as well as the ‘Track & Trail’ duathlon cycling and running event, and co-organized the 2009 Cross on the Rock Island Championships cyclocross race at Shawnigan Lake. Not cycling, but also organized several ‘Save-A-Turkey Trot’ fun-run events along the trails at Dallas Road.